Better Nursing Home Care Fund
Improving care for nursing home residents in Oregon.
NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
NEXT APPLICATION WINDOW WILL BE IN FALL 2022
The Better Nursing Home Care Fund supports projects that focus on improving care for nursing home residents in Oregon
Applications are accepted only from nonprofits with tax-exempt status and public agencies that operate within Oregon. Projects may address issues or needs of both nonprofit and for-profit nursing homes. The fund is focused solely on benefitting residents of nursing homes and is not available for projects focused on assisted living facilities or other care facilities. Except as noted above, grants will not be made for equipment or capital projects, or to replace other funding where it is not demonstrated that OCF support will make a significant difference.
Projects with potential for replication are preferred as are projects with plans to share or disseminate results. There should also be a clear plan for sustaining proposed activities during and following the three-year grant period.
One or more of the following priorities should be addressed:
- Implementing innovative methods for attracting and retaining qualified, competent and skilled staff, particularly Certified Nursing Assistants. This may involve improved interdisciplinary relationships on staff.
- Adapting and implementing training, therapy, recreation, or other practices, or integrating new technology, tested as an effective way to improve nursing home care.
- Establishing collaborative relationships among nursing homes, resident organizations, community organizations, advocacy groups, family support groups, and academic institutions to improve nursing home residents’ quality of life.
- Adopting evidence-based best practices, especially in the care of older adults with dementia.
Care of Residents
- Increase resident autonomy and choice
- Increase adequate nutrition and hydration
- Improve continence and skin integrity
- Increase functional independence and mobility
- Avoid or reduce depression by increasing participation in activities meaningful to the resident
- Avoid or decrease behavioral symptoms by identifying and responding to unmet needs
Issues Related to Staff
- Avoid or decrease staff turnover and increase consistent assignment of staff to residents
- Promote improvement by encouraging quick enforcement of regulations
- Develop programs or activities that mentor, empower and offer recognition of staff
*Not currently accepting applications*
- Completed applications should be submitted as a single PDF file by email to BNHCFund@oregoncf.org
- Please submit your application with the subject line: "BNHC Fund Application - Organization Name"
- Please download the 2020 Request for Proposals and the application forms below for more detailed information about this grant program and its application process.
- Grant Application Form
- Application Narrative Form (accompanying questions)
- Multi-year project budget showing both projected revenues and expenditures and how our funds would be allocated
- List of current board members, including affiliations and contact info
- Organization budget for current year – or, if organization quite large, just the department budget
- Most recent audited financial statements, if available
- 501(c)(3) tax-exemption letter from the IRS
- Letter(s) of support, directly related to the project (optional)
- Additional project info: graphic, schematic or timeline (optional)
- Applicants receiving a grant from the Better Nursing Home Care Fund will be expected to report on the use of the funds nine months following the award date. Reports are available here, and should be sent to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact:
- Eva Miller, Associate Program Officer, Portland Metro: firstname.lastname@example.org
Better Nursing Home Care Fund Forms
- Recent Grants [PDF]
A national movement for the transformation of older adult services that focuses on individual values — choice, dignity, respect, self-determination and purposeful living